4.5, 6.5, 8 or 10 inch wheel?
There are so many sizes, how do I know what is good for me for to buy for my son, daughter, niece, nephew, brother, sister or for a friend? If that’s what you are going through you have come to the right place.
Since hoverboards have gained such popularity the wheel size has become a major deciding part when purchasing a hoverboard. Each size offers distinct benefits when it comes to needs of the rider. Most standard hoverboards that are sold today are typically the 6.5” wheel with 3 other variations i.e. 4.5”, 8” and 10” wheel that also became popular due to growing needs to accommodate all age groups.
Below we have explained each wheel size in detail with some benefits and limitations that each wheel size poses.
4.5 inch Wheel
4.5” wheel is designed for young riders aged from 5-10 however the most important factor is the weight of the rider. 4.5”wheel is good for young riders with a weight range from 10 kg to 60 kg (30 pounds to 135 pounds). Since this version is smaller than the standard version 6.5” wheel, it is designed to go half the speed. Standard Speed for 6.5” wheel is 10km/hour while the 4.5 goes 5km/ hour for safety reasons. This hoverboard is ideal for young riders for the following main reasons;
· Smaller in size with lower pad height, which makes it easier for kids to learn
· Kids can enjoy anywhere from 1hr to 3 hrs of continuous riding on one charge
· It is easier to carry for kids as it only weighs half the weight (5.5 kg) compared to the standard 6.5”.
· The tire is solid rubber so there no need to worry about punctures or flat tire.
· Low motor power of 300W on each side is also ideal for kids in this age group
6.5 inch Wheel
6.5” wheel is the most common and has become a standard wheel size of all hoverboards. It was used in the first hoverboard a few years ago. 6.5 inch motor is typically 250w to 350W and wheel has a solid rubber base without a tube, so the riding is worry free, meaning you don’t have to worry about punctures in your tires. The battery capacity is generally 4.4AH which is good for 2-4 hours of riding in general or ~15km range. The riding time is mainly dependent on the rider weight and riding style. Aggressive riding or harsh stopping drains more battery and will lead to less riding time.
The pad base is designed to be attached at the center axle which makes it very stable and easy to step on and step off. It is also used as a starter and beginner hoverboard due to its small wheel and easy to step on and step off. Because of its low clearance it is ideal for smooth surfaces, it can also be ridden in malls or in or around the house. It can be used on sidewalks and asphalt surfaces however the problem is small wheel base and solid wheel tire. They pose a challenge for the rider to adjust to vibrations from the rough terrain as well as the expansion gaps and bumps on the sidewalks.
It is recommended for ages 8 years old and older with a min. weight 30kg (65 pounds) and max. weight up to 100 kg (220 pounds) that makes it fun ride for the whole family. After training thousands of riders and learning from their experiences we found that a rider with a lower weight are mostly okay with 6.5” wheel on indoor flat surface or outdoor sidewalks. However as the weight increases it is difficult to ride 6.5” wheel for a longer period of time due to its hard tires and smaller wheel base.
8 inch Wheel
8”wheel has same motor power and battery capacity as 6.5” wheel and allows the rider to go a little faster due to slightly large wheels. However the difference might not be significant enough to notice the slight difference in speed.
8” solid rubber tire is perfect for some riders with growing needs. If you are in the age group of 10 to 14 or older this would be a step up from the 6.5” due to a little extra foot base, more clearance and higher pad level from the ground.
10 inch Wheel
So far we have talked about 4.5, 6.5 and 8 inch with solid wheels. 10” is a HUGE step up from the other three sizes.
The 10” wheel offers a different experience due to its tube tire. 10” models have become very popular for the same reason with young riders and adults. The 10” offers an amazing smooth ride on all terrains such as but not limited to; grass, sidewalks, indoors, tracks ad even country roads. It is preferred by people that wish to ride for a longer period of time or alternatively for short distance commutes. It is also suitable for long distance in some cases due to faster speed. The minimum weight range for the 10” is the same as the 6.5” and 8” at 30kg (65 pounds), however the 10” max. weight can go up to 110 kg (240 pounds). It is best suited for preteens and older or for riders that need a personal mobility device to go around.
The tube tires are easy to replace but the rider will have to maintain the tire pressure frequently to the rider’s weight. Motor wattage and battery capacity are same as 6.5” and 8” models, 250W-350W/ motor and 4.4AH Battery, respectively. However larger tires will travel more distance than smaller and it has been tested to go ~20km on one charge with an average adult.
* Order Early Savings applies to select product and are available upto $200 off. **We deliver nationwide in Canada and Free shipping within Local zone in all Major cities including: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa‚ Gatineau, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Victoria, Halifax, Oshawa, Windsor, Saskatoon, St. Catharines‚¬Niagara, Regina, St. John's, Kelowna, Barrie, Sherbrooke, Guelph, Abbotsford, Kingston, Kanata, Trois-Rivires, Moncton, Chicoutimi-Jonquire, Milton, Red Deer, Brantford, Thunder Bay, White Rock, Nanaimo, Sudbury, Lethbridge, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Peterborough, Kamloops, Chilliwack, Sarnia, Chateauguay, Drummondville, Belleville, Fort McMurray, Sault Ste. Marie, Prince George, Medicine Hat, Welland - Pelham, Grande Prairie, Airdrie, Granby, Fredericton, Saint John, Beloeil, North Bay, Saint-Hyacinthe, Brandon, Vernon, Cornwall, Joliette, Courtenay, Charlottetown, Victoriaville, Chatham, Georgetown, St. Thomas, Woodstock, Bowmanville - Newcastle, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Shawinigan, Rimouski, Spruce Grove, Sorel-Tracy, Campbell River, Prince Albert, Penticton, Mission, Leamington, Moose Jaw, Stouffville, Lloydminster, Orillia, Stratford, Orangeville, Cape Breton-Sydney, Bradford, Leduc, Timmins, Okotoks, Saint-Georges, Keswick-Elmhurst Beach, Bolton, Val-d'Or, Cochrane, Quispamsis-Rothesay, Midland, Innisfil ***USA & International Deliveries are available at discount shipping rates from major carrier.