Electric Bikes have gained popularity in the past few years due to their equally enjoyable and comfortable riding experience. They have become so significant that now people really want to invest some extra money for top of the line models. Unfortunately, this increase in demand has also attracted bike thieves. Without sufficient theft safeguards, you could become an easy target for thieves, even if you own a premium electric bike.
Each year a number of electric bikes are reported stolen and only a few find their way back to their owners. Particularly a bike with a sub-standard locking mechanism is targeted by thieves who just remove valuable components from the electric bikes or steal the whole thing.
Before your Electric bike becomes a victim to such theft, use this guide as a measure to safeguard your electric bicycles.
- Bring your eBike with you: A very easy way to protect your electric bike is to bring it with you whenever possible. Sometimes you travel to remote areas to buy something special or source something essential. Parking in such areas is highly risky, so bringing your e-bike indoors with you is a great option.
- Get a Good E-Bike Lock: Investing in a higher quality lock is the most basic measure one can take against e-bike theft. Given that an electric bike consists of different parts, some thieves aim to steal specific parts. Therefore, it is recommended to lock individual parts such as frame, wheel and handlebar with distinctive locks.
- Park in Communal Spaces: Parking your electric bike strategically in the right locations aids greatly to avoid theft. It is recommended to park in a public or busy area, preferably one equipped with video monitoring. For the night time it is necessary to park somewhere with good lighting to ensure maximum visibility towards your electric bike, as thieves may feel easier to steal in the dark.
- Using GPS/Tracking Technology: Although locking and parking may provide a sense of security for the riders, experienced thieves can outsmart all such measures. In order to step up the security to the next level, a GPS system can help greatly to track your e-bike at all times. Furthermore, in case of theft, authorities can track down your e-bike with the help of GPS. These devices can be acquired from renowned companies and easily installed on your bike. Certain electric bikes even come equipped with built-in compartments designed specifically for your GPS device.
- Proper Locking Technique: Not only locking the bike is enough, but locking it properly in the intended way is a very important step to keep your ride far away from getting stolen. Hence, locking your bike in a proper manner as elaborated in the guide is a crucial step to add on to the safety of electric bikes from seasoned thieves.
- Protecting the Battery of the E-Bike: If your battery is detachable, either lock it properly or remove the battery completely if you are leaving your e-bike unattended for an extended period, even just for a few hours. This will instantly make your electric bike uninviting for the potential thieves and as a bonus will protect your battery from sun, wind exposure, just make sure to store the battery in a dry place at room temperature.
We’ve highlighted all the measures to lower the chances of theft, though it is important to know that no electric bike is absolutely secure. Every e-bike remains at the potential risk of thieves. Neglecting these precautions could increase the risk. It is advised to follow these guidelines for added safety, allowing you to fully enjoy your journeys with your electric bike.